Since posting photos of my breakfast of zucchini and corn fritters, I’ve received numerous requests for the recipe. A side of avocado salsa adds a bit of freshness to the dish. These fritters are really easy to prepare, and if you leave the batter to sit for at least hour an hour before cooking, the flavours develop very nicely.
For the zucchini and corn fritters
- 410g tin of corn kernels, drained
- 170g zucchini, grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mild curry powder (Keens)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the avocado salsa
- Half a small red onion
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- Handful of coriander leaves
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
Putting together your zucchini and corn fritters
- Prepare the avocado salsa by chopping and combining all the ingredients in a bowl. Adjust the amount of lemon and olive oil to suit your taste.
Prepare the zucchini and corn fritters by whisking together the grated zucchini, corn, egg and milk.
- Combine the plain flour, coriander, cumin, turmeric and curry powder. Gradually sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients while stirring.
- Heat a frying pan on medium temperature and spray with oil. Using a very large tablespoon (or similar), carefully spoon your batter into the hot pan. Cook the fritters for a couple of minutes on each side. Adjust your heat and cooking times accordingly so as not to burn the outside while the centre remains uncooked. I always do a test fritter first to get the settings right. Plus, it gives you something to snack on while cooking the rest of the zucchini and corn fritters 🙂
- Serve the delicious fritters topped with avocado salsa, a fried egg and sweet chilli sauce. Maple syrup also goes well with this dish if you don’t include the egg.
Recommendation: Prepare the batter and leave to sit for at least half an hour to allow the flavours to develop.
And that’s it! You’ve just made yourself some delicious zucchini and corn fritters with an avocado salsa.
Leave a comment below letting me know how you went this. If you turned this into a gluten free or vegan recipe, let us know how below.